Current:Home > ScamsMiami Beach touts successful break up with spring break. Businesses tell a different story -Capitatum
Miami Beach touts successful break up with spring break. Businesses tell a different story
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 13:39:32
Following a few years of increasingly dangerous crowds, Miami Beach announced that it was breaking up with spring break in 2024 issuing beach restrictions and greater police presence.
A few weeks into spring break, officials seem to be saying their safety measures, including limiting beach access and closing liquor stores early, are a resounding success.
Miami Beach police say arrests citywide were down 8% as of March 17 compared to last year, and the mayor said the city's 90,000 residents thanked him for officials' commitment to "law and order."
But some businesses said the measures went too far when the city issued a midnight curfew last week. One nightclub reported half a million dollars in revenue loss, showing some might be sad about spring break getting dumped.
Miami Beach breaks up with spring break: 'It's not us, it's you'
In 2021, Miami Beach made more than 1,000 arrests amongst spring breakers, leading them to issue an emergency curfew. In 2022, two shootings injured five people, leading to another curfew. Last year, the Miami Beach Police Department said it conducted 488 arrests, impounded 105 firearms and issued 7,190 traffic citations between Feb. 27 and March 27.
This year, they said enough is enough.
They issued a campaign, including a dramatic video saying, "this isn't working anymore and it's not us, it's you. We just want different things."
The city also imposed additional security every Thursday through Sunday in March, limiting beach access and closing liquor stores early. Last weekend, they issued a curfew at midnight.
Mayor and police tout measures as success
Mayor Steven Meiner told Fox News the measures were necessary after the last two years. He also posted on X, saying the residents have provided lots of positive feedback.
"I don't know if we ever wanted to be the go-to spring break destination, we want to be a tourist attraction, which we are," Meiner said on Fox News. "And actually I think the opposite was happening...we were risking ruining our reputation by having these acts of violence which we've prevented this year."
Miami Beach police spokesperson Christopher Bess also said the measures had brought progress.
"The combined efforts of law enforcement and the community have resulted in the establishment of a safe and enjoyable environment for both the residents and visitors," Bess said in an emailed statement.
He also said only four of the 274 arrests between March 1 and March 17 were for curfew violations.
But mayor also admitted the reaction to the measures from businesses was mixed, as a few businesses sued the city over a curfew.
Clubs tried to sue over curfew, one reported half million dollar loss
On Friday, March 15, the City of Miami Beach announced a midnight curfew for the weekend on top of the restrictions.
Three nightclubs open until the early ours of the morning sued in an effort to receive injunctive relief to stop the curfew Friday night. Liquor stores tried a similar lawsuit last year amid orders to close early, CBS News reported.
Exchange Miami, Mynt and M2 had already had 15,000 patrons this month without issue, according to the filing. It also argued the clubs had spent a lot of money in preparation for the weekend's activities.
"The forced closure during Miami music week will devastate the diligently cultivated and earned brands and images of the plaintiffs" the complaint stated. "They have invested millions of dollars into the businesses and the Miami Beach community and have had no legal problems and no difficulties during Spring Break in 2023."
But the judge sided with the city, keeping the curfew in place.
Several restaurants told local station WSVN they understood the need for safety, but still would lose a significant chunk of business. A representative from M2 told the outlet they stood to lose half of a million dollars. Mango’s Tropical Cafe on Ocean Drive closed its doors for the weekend, telling WSVN that would be 30% of business.
Many of the city's spring break measures are in place through the end of the month, though a spokesperson for the city told USA TODAY they did not anticipate issuing another curfew this weekend.
Contributing: Terry Collins, Mary Walrath-Holdridge, USA TODAY
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Watch Jenna Ortega and Fred Armisen Hilariously Parody The Parent Trap Remake on SNL
- Memes about COVID-19 helped us cope with life in a pandemic, a new study finds
- Former Indian lawmaker and his brother shot dead by men posing as journalists in attack caught live on TV
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- NASA's Got A New, Big Telescope. It Could Find Hints Of Life On Far-Flung Planets
- The Push For Internet Voting Continues, Mostly Thanks To One Guy
- Before Dying, An Unvaccinated TikTok User Begged Others Not to Repeat Her Mistake
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Michelle Yeoh In a Cloud of Happiness Amid Historic Oscars 2023 Appearance
Ranking
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- See Ryan Seacrest Crash Kelly Ripa and Mark Consuelos’ Oscars 2023 Date Night
- Leaked Pentagon docs show rift between U.S. and U.N. over Ukraine
- The Push For Internet Voting Continues, Mostly Thanks To One Guy
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- States are investigating how Instagram recruits and affects children
- Proof Banshees of Inisherin's Jenny the Donkey Deserves Her Own Oscar
- Rare giant otter triplets born at wildlife park
Recommendation
South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
Bus with musicians crashes in western India, killing 13 and injuring 29 others
Here's How Chris Rock Celebrated the 2023 Oscars Far Away From Hollywood
Keller Rinaudo: How can delivery drones save lives?
Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
Emma Watson Is the Belle of the Ball During Rare Red Carpet Appearance at Oscars 2023 Party
Brown bear that killed Italian runner is captured, her 3 cubs freed
Facebook asks court to toss FTC lawsuit over its buys of Instagram and WhatsApp